- I am a neuroscientist and neural network modeler,
working at Brain Corporation in San Diego, California. I study how networks of simulated neurons learn to control themselves and generate thought, decisions, memory and movement to obtain reward.
- My team focuses on learning algorithms that we embed in closed-loop systems so they act on and influence the world that they perceive.
Publications and Presentations
For a complete list, see my CV here.
- Publication: Laurent, P. A., Hall, M. G., Anderson, B. A., Yantis, S. (2014) Valuable orientations capture attention. Visual Cognition. (journal link)
- Publication: Guediche, S., Holt, L., Laurent, P. A., Lim, S.-J., Fiez, J. (2014) Evidence for cerebellar contributions to adaptive plasticity in speech perception. Cerebral Cortex. (journal link)
- Publication: Cole M.W., Laurent P., Stocco A. (2013) Rapid instructed task learning: A new window into the human brain's unique capacity for flexible cognitive control. Cognitive, Affective, & Behavioral Neuroscience. (journal link)
- Publication: Laurent, P. A. (2013) A Neural Mechanism for Reward Discounting: Insights from Modeling Hippocampal-Striatal Interactions. Cognitive Computation. (journal link) (my draft, free)
Check my blog
Here is some software I've developed during my research. You are free to use any of this source code in your work as long as you acknowledge me. I hope to get around to selecting a more specific open source license soon.
- Computational Modeling
- My project to develop a simple but powerful neural network simulation language inspired by SQL. NNQL minimizes programming time, maximizes clarity of model descriptions, and improves communication between modelers and non-modelers.
- Adaptive Reading Agent Simulator
|(Runs in a GUI) Train a Reinforcement Learning agent to control its saccadic eye movements as it reads words of various lengths and word identification difficulties. Outputs data in MATLAB matrix format for easy analysis.|
- Recurrent McCulloch-Pitts Network
- Train and test a Levy-style recurrent neural network of spiking McCulloch-Pitts neurons.
- SVM Weight Extractor
- Handy script that extracts weights from the SVM generated by MATLAB's bioinformatics toolbox so you can look at the value of your decision variables.
- ASL Eye Tracker Driver
- This Java code allows you to get gaze information from ASL eye trackers via a serial port connection for gaze-contingent paradigms. It interprets the binary data from the controller.
- EPI Noise Echo Cancellation
- If you need to hear your participant in real time during your fMRI experiment, this ChucK script allows
you to cancel out the scanner noise during EPI data acquisition.